[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Draft Ballot SCXX: Improve OU validation requirements

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Oct 19 07:30:47 MST 2020

Hi Paul,

As I commented on the Github issue, while I believe this is an earnest
attempt, it unfortunately applies all of the same faulty logic and
approaches that we know are unacceptably insecure and inappropriate.
Further, the consideration of the timelines is equally unthinkably
insecure: this is something we can and should be resolving so that all new
certificates issued can be improved sometime in th next six months. My hope
is that realizing that waiting until 2024 to improve an arbitrary injection
vulnerability is unthinkably inappropriate.

However, as I note, it misses the most basic requirement, which has been on
the agenda since our discussions in London in 2018, is addressing the use
cases here for this data. Entrust has failed to do so, other than
expressing a customer desire, and thus makes it unreasonable for any
further consideration, as the absence of such data precludes productive
discussion, including that of alternatives.

We do not support this ballot, in its current form or in any modified form,
without having such basic use cases addressed. CAs wishing to advocate for
its continued inclusion must recognize the importance of capturing the use
case appropriately, rather than presuming that how things were done was a
correct and appropriate manner, especially given the counter-factual
evidence and experience.