[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL] Draft Ballot SCXX: Improve OU validation requirements

md at ssc.lt md at ssc.lt
Mon Nov 16 08:33:49 MST 2020

I think for public sector/government institutions we should use the official name of that organization unit.E.g., State XYZ regulatory authority (a legal entity) may act as Data Protection Authority.As a rule XYZ has a formal authorization document for its DPA  role.Thanks,M.D.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Paul van Brouwershaven via Validation <validation at cabforum.org> Date: 11/16/20  17:14  (GMT+02:00) To: validation at cabforum.org Subject: Re: [cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL] Draft Ballot SCXX: Improve OU validation	requirements

I have been thinking about a more simplistic and strict approach that doesn't follow all the current allowed methods listed in section 3.2 of the BR like we have proposed currently.

The version below only provides one method that must be followed and always requires a prefix/suffix to be added. I don't think it will satisfy all use cases, but it should be sufficient for the large majority and might be a good compromise:

If the Subject Identity Information is to include an organizational unit, then it MUST be preceded or followed by a whitespace and an equivalent of the
 word “unit”, “service", "system", "center", "office", “faculty”, "administration", "operations” in singular or plural form; or the equivalent in a language other than English. It SHALL NOT include a name, DBA, tradename, trademark, address, location, or other
 text that refers to a specific natural person or Legal Entity unless the CA has verified this information in relation to the Application accordance with Section 3.2.

The CA MUST verify the existence and affiliation of the organizational unit with the Applicant using an Organizational Chart provided by an authoritative
 source within the Applicant's organization, such as the Applicant's main business offices, corporate offices, human resource offices, information technology offices, or other department that the CA deems appropriate.

The value SHALL not be abbreviated unless this would exceed the maximum length of the `subject:organizationalUnitName` field, in which case it SHALL
 only use locally accepted abbreviation.

Feedback and improvements are welcome!

Paul