[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Making progress on disclosures of data sources

Stephan Wolf Stephan.Wolf at Gleif.org
Wed Apr 22 22:19:53 MST 2020

If it helps, on GLEIF’s registration authorities list you’ll find 5 Swedish offices suited for validation.

https://www.gleif.org/en/about-lei/code-lists/gleif-registration-authorities-list

Thx

Stephan

Von: Validation <validation-bounces at cabforum.org> im Auftrag von Kirk Hall via Validation <validation at cabforum.org>
Antworten an: Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>, CA/Browser Forum Validation SC List <validation at cabforum.org>
Datum: Donnerstag, 23. April 2020 um 07:02
An: Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com>
Cc: CA/Browser Forum Validation SC List <validation at cabforum.org>
Betreff: Re: [cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Making progress on disclosures of data sources

It appears you don’t know the answer to your own question on Sweden – so, how will Google use the data on government corporate registry sources that CAs would be required to post under your proposal?

I doubt we will spend much time looking at the lists of other CAs.  Are you aware of any EV certificates that have actually been mis-issued to Swedish companies because of this (alleged) problem as to which agency is the correct one to use for EV validation of a corporation?

If you want to present specific (alleged) problems like Sweden – lets discuss that, and not some elaborate scheme for posting all corporate registry data, with timelines.  If Google is concerned about this issue – you have a big legal department, why don’t you research and present the answer?  Here’s a good starting point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Companies_Registration_Office

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Supervisory_Authority_(Sweden)

Based on 30 seconds of Wikipedia research, looks like the winner is Bolagsverket for most companies, but maybe also Finansinspektionen for banks and financial institutions.  But I have never been involved in EV vetting of a Swedish company.  If our validation team were doing EV vetting for a Swedish company, they would do more research first than I just did – but in the end, it’s not very hard.

The idea of multiple government registries in a single company assigned to different company types would not surprise me – there are federally chartered banks in the US, as well as state chartered banks.  https://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/federally+chartered+banks   So it’s possible that BOTH government agencies in Sweden are correct, based on the type of corporation.  Maybe Buypass knows the answer for certain – they are based in Norway.

In Canada, corporations can be registered at either the federal level, or the provincial level – so there is no single correct answer for Canada – and there is no problem or conflict for the Forum to resolve concerning Canada.

OK, that’s Sweden and Canada.  Do you know of any other (alleged) problems concerning which government registry to consult in any country other than Sweden?