[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Making progress on disclosures of data sources

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Apr 22 14:38:50 MST 2020

Ryan, Doug asked you two fairly simple questions in response to your proposal on “disclosures of data sources”.  Your proposal requires disclosure of all the government registry data sources used by a CA during EV validation.

Here were Doug’s questions, which are very reasonable given the work required for all in your proposal: [1] “I understand what you are asking for, but the question is why is this needed?”  [2] “I’m not necessarily against the ballot because it will level the playing field and we’ll all need to use “good” sources, but is that a known issue that is impacting the security of the ecosystem?”

Your lengthy response was not really responsive at all, but instead brought up a list of unrelated complaints about CAs that we have heard before.

Do you actually have ANY concrete examples you can provide of ACTUAL cases where a CA used an “improper” government registry data source to validate the corporate registry number and existence of the Subject in an EV certificate (see EVGL Sec. 11.2.2 requirements below).  Please do *not* respond with a list of general complaints about CAs and whether they can be trusted, are lazy, have made mistakes in other areas, this has been discussed before, etc.  Your views on these topics are well known and do not need to be repeated here - it’s irrelevant to the question, and would be a waste of everyone’s time.

All we want to know is – do you have any actual examples of errors made by CAs in government registry validations for EV certificates that would justify your proposal?  If yes, please disclose your examples relating to government registry look-ups for EV validation with specificity; if not, please say so.

Here are the EVGL requirements:

EVGL Sec. 11.2.2. Acceptable Method of Verification
(1) Private Organization Subjects: Unless verified under subsection (6), all items listed in Section 11.2.1(1) MUST be verified directly with, or obtained directly from, the Incorporating or Registration Agency in the Applicant's Jurisdiction of Incorporation or Registration. Such verification MAY be through use of a Qualified Government Information Source operated by, or on behalf of, the Incorporating or Registration Agency, or by direct contact with the Incorporating or Registration Agency in person or via mail, e-mail, Web address, or telephone, using an address or phone number obtained directly from the Qualified Government Information Source, Incorporating or Registration Agency, or from a Qualified Independent Information Source.