[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Including LEIs as extensions in EV certificates

Stephan Wolf Stephan.Wolf at Gleif.org
Sat Sep 28 07:01:24 MST 2019

Hi Ryan, et.al.,

Your mail was helpful. I believe we are close to a conclusion where we agree and disagree.

We agree that

- the LEI is a useful identifier for all kinds of uses cases, e.g. S/Mime, Code Signing etc. (I very much hope for your support when we tackle these).

- For TLS certificates, the LEI added as an extension (which was as well your recommendation several months ago) doesn’t cause any harm in terms of technical security, crypto algo, processing time, loopholes etc.

We disagree

- whether the LEI causes harm in the longer term. Wayne and you used the example of lowered agility for future developments or higher burden for obtaining a cert. In contrast, I am of the opinion that the LEI adds agility especially in those cases described in my last email. If used by CAs the way we discussed, it also doesn’t slow them down.

- I understand your mails also as an expression of concern that the industry, and the browser vendors in particular, become dependent on an external source. I do not believe that such a dependency exists. However, even in case you feel this way please acknowledge that the LEI is the trusted identifier by the G20, the FSB, over 80 regulators and embedded in over 150 laws globally.

Please allow me not to comment any more on all arguments triggered by past issues. Neither the SHA nor the Symantec example fit here. For me this is more an expression of a general discomfort.

For any future architecture – and I appreciate your DNS example as well as I support Google’s desire to use DNS only via HTTPS - this will take time. I am not sure what the future holds and which standards will be developed and implemented; however, I know this will not change the Internet overnight. The LEI is a reality now and so are EV certs.

I believe it is now for the Forum to decide. GLEIF will certainly respect any decision / ballot result.

However, in case the Forum votes “pro LEI in TLS certs”, I do not believe that you would have sufficient justification to block these certs, to declare them invalid or untrusted.

Best,

Stephan