[cabf_validation] Draft Ballot SCXX: Improve Certificate Lifetimes

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Aug 5 11:56:21 MST 2019

This isn't something inherently required by the BRs, nor has it ever been.

I think folks can look at how some CAs, notably Amazon, have leveraged
compliance with the BRs and an understanding of the DNS technology to
minimize the friction for their Subscribers and customers. In this model,
the per-issuance unique code being referred to is not needed, and the
extant configuration a domain operator needs to do is roughly equivalent to
the CAA check.

Amazon's documentation here -
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/security/easier-certificate-validation-using-dns-with-aws-certificate-manager/
-
shows how truly easy it is for CAs to put their customers first, and pursue
innovative solutions that help improve overall security. For more technical
details,
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/acm/latest/userguide/gs-acm-validate-dns.html is
helpful.

Again, this is fully compliant with the BRs, and always has been.
Importantly, it measurably moves the needle towards security, in that it
allows fresh DNS checks, to ensure the registrant is still configured and
authorizing the CA to issue certificates on their behalf, while allowing
what CAs desire most, which is a binding between a set of authorized domain
names and a given account identifier.

I wasn't sure, were you familiar with that approach when you replied? It
seems functionally similar to the additional valid methods recently
introduced, and has definitely been something discussed in the context of
the Validation WG with respect to 3.2.2.4.6, which functionally can do the
same.