[cabf_validation] Draft Ballot SCXX: Improve Certificate Lifetimes

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Aug 5 11:08:36 MST 2019

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Richard Smith <rich at sectigo.com> wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> Sectigo is willing to endorse this ballot, but we have a couple of
> concerns, primarily around (1) timing of implementation and (2) future
> validity period changes.

Glad to hear!

> Before getting into the details of those concerns we would like to thank
> you for bringing this to the Forum rather than going it alone as some trust
> store operators have done with significant policy changes in the recent
> past.  While we acknowledge that trust store operators are not obligated to
> do so, we feel it's very important that in general, and barring serious and
> immediate security concerns, policy changes take place in the CA/B Forum in
> order to foster the continued cooperation between CAs and trust store
> operators.

I suspect this will continue to be an area where we politely agree to
disagree. The strength of the Forum is in facilitating discussions to allow
multiple independent trust frameworks to avoid making incompatible changes.
It similarly provides an excellent venue to gather feedback from CAs as to
browsers' efforts to better secure their users, but as with most feedback
related to security changes, the most important thing is that users are
protected in meaningful and timely ways.

> Timing of implementation:
>
> We've been reaching out to customers to get feedback, and what’s coming
> back is concern that March may be too soon for some of our customers, large
> enterprises and resellers, to prepare for this kind of change, so we'd like
> to push implementation date out to September 1, 2020.

Thanks. If this change is required for Sectigo's support, it may be better
to decline at present. This request unfortunately comes with no meaningful
and actionable information, and no explanation about the logic behind the
change, alternatives considered, the factors being evaluated, or any of the
other things that might allow for substantive discussion. I appreciate the
sensitivity of trying to distill some of your large enterprise customers
feedback, but I'm afraid the summary is lacking in constructive feedback
that allows this to be a dialog towards consensus.

> Future validity period changes:
>
> Since the validity period has been discussed for quite some time, and has
> been somewhat contentious, we hope to gain an understanding and possibly
> consensus about how changes to it in the future are viewed.  Our thinking
> is that due to the non-trivial downstream impact to enterprises that result
> from the changes that we make, we have to carefully weigh how frequently
> the validity period should be changed.  Barring significant and immediate
> security concerns, we’d like all parties to consider calling certificate
> validity settled for 3 to 5 years after this ballot. Note that this does
> not include discussion of modifications of data re-use validity to address
> issues which have come up in discussion of this ballot.

Thanks. This similarly lacks substance to allow any understanding of the
reasoning, and as a consequence, while an attractive call for some, doesn't
really explain the tradeoffs that justify leaving domain holders at risk.
As seen by the Apple feedback, and as shared with the Forum in a
presentation for its members, the security risks involved in the domain
validation and reuse of that validation are significant enough that there's
a need for further reductions. Similarly, the broader ecosystem
considerations - such as it being functionally two years (plus, in
situations like proposed, an additional one year of "phase in time", for a
total of three) to make meaningful changes to certificate profiles, simply
does not reflect the serious security risks the ecosystem faces.

My hope is that this serves as a starting point for the discussions to
better understand the risks facing the ecosystem, and CAs can develop a
better understanding of the unique position they play in supporting that
role. As with many technologies, if we fail to adequately respond with the
changing needs, it's not inconceivable to see the current Web PKI being
replaced with more agile, better secured systems. To minimize the risk of
that, we should work to ensure relevance and competitiveness in the
security landscape. This is merely a first step, reflecting the real risks
the ecosystem is facing, but clearly, not a sufficient one.