[cabf_validation] Underscores, DNSNames, and SRVNames

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Oct 11 02:02:09 MST 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 4:57 AM Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley at digicert.com>
wrote:

> “Incorrect extensions” is hardly prohibitive of underscore characters
> especially where the only mention of underscores is 5280 is:

   When the subjectAltName extension contains a domain name system
   label, the domain name MUST be stored in the dNSName (an IA5String).
   The name MUST be in the "preferred name syntax", as specified by
   Section 3.5 of [RFC1034] and as modified by Section 2.1 of
   [RFC1123].

plus the BRs
7.1.2.4. All Certificates
All other fields and extensions MUST be set in accordance with RFC 5280.

Can you remind me again where there's any possible interpretation of the
above that would result in underscores being permitted?