[cabf_validation] Proposal for Adding RDAP

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue May 1 06:03:18 MST 2018

I’ll endorse, and I have comments.

First, thanks for doing this, and thanks for the excellent observation that the (IMHO wrong) interpretation that “WHOIS” is strictly limited to the IETF WHOIS protocol would also prohibit getting the information from the registry/registrar’s web interface.  I know that doing that is ridiculously common throughout the industry.

Do we want to define “WHOIS information” instead of “WHOIS”?  That neatly sidesteps the issue of “WHOIS, the protocol” vs “WHOIS, the data”.

On the question of authentication, I love authentication, but there is the question of whether this is a “clarification” ballot or an “improve the rules” ballot.  The initial goal of this ballot was the former, and “WHOIS, the protocol” is unauthenticated, so if we stick to that goal, then no.

However, if there is enough support, I would love to support something along these lines:

CAs MAY continue to use WHOIS.

CAs MAY use HTTPS interfaces and APIs if they validate that the server is operated by the registry  / registrar.

CAs SHOULD prefer RDAP when available.

CAs MUST use authenticated HTTPS and/or RDAP methods when supported by the registry / registrar.

But I think that might not have majority support.  It does have the advantage that it slowly moves the industry towards modern, authenticated methods as registrars and registries start supporting them.  Which should only take a century or two.

-Tim