[cabf_validation] Agenda for March 1st prep call for Validation Summit

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Sat Mar 3 09:12:44 MST 2018

Doug,

It isn’t possible to determine if a validation method is “adequate” if it isn’t defined what is required to be validated.  For example, a validation method for some contexts is “using a magnifying glass to visually confirm the presence of a small watermark on the document”, but this likely is not relevant to certificates.

Section 9.6.1 of the BRs lists what CAs are certifying.  I was hoping to the validation working group would review this so that all the methods can be compared to this list to determine if the method provides reasonable assurance the requirements for certification are met.

From the BRs: The CA certifies that, at the time the certificate was issued:
1) the Applicant either had the right to use, or had control of, the Domain Name(s) and IP address(es) listed in the Certificate’s subject field and subjectAltName extension or, in the case of Domain Names, was delegated such right or control by someone who had such right to use or control, and

2) the natural person, device, system, unit, or Legal Entity identified in the Certificate as the Subject authorized the issuance of the Certificate, and

3) the Subject is either the Applicant or a device under the control and operation of the Applicant, and

4) that the natural person or human sponsor who was either the Applicant, employed by the Applicant, or an authorized agent who had express authority to represent the Applicant was authorized to request the Certificate on behalf of the Subject

The other thing that might be worth discussing is whether one or more of these items should be removed as being required for certification.

Thanks,
Peter