[cabf_validation] Update 3.2.2.4 for Applicants that are Individual Natural Persons

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Fri Jun 1 23:38:35 MST 2018

On 2/6/2018 3:05 πμ, Wayne Thayer wrote:

>     The current BRs in 3.2.2.4 state that
>     "For purposes of domain validation, the term Applicant includes
>     the Applicant's Parent Company, Subsidiary Company, or Affiliate."
>
>     which doesn't include the case of an Applicant being an Individual
>     Natural Person. Since the term "Applicant" is already defined in
>     1.6.1, this sentence should probably me amended to point to 1.6.1
>     instead of trying to re-define the term.
>
> The statement in section 3.2.2.4 is intended to extend the definition
> of the term "Applicant" to parent and subsidiary companies for the
> purposes of domain validation only. It is not intended to change or
> conflict with the definition in 1.6.1. My recollection is that the
> statement in 3.2.2.4 was added because some of the domain validation
> methods could not be used if the domain name registrant was not the
> exact same legal entity as the Applicant. In other words, the sentence
> in 3.2.2.4 is the same as changing every instance of "Applicant" in
> that section to "Applicant, Applicant's Parent Company, Applicant's
> Subsidiary Company, or Applicant's Affiliate".

This makes more sense now. I guess this applies for all representations
of an Applicant throughout the document and perhaps would be appropriate
to add it in the existing definition.

>     *"Applicant*: The natural person or Legal Entity that applies for
>     (or seeks renewal of) a Certificate. Once the Certificate issues,
>     the Applicant is referred to as the Subscriber. For Certificates
>     issued to devices, the Applicant is the entity that controls or
>     operates the device named in the Certificate, even if the device
>     is sending the actual certificate request."

How about this:

*"Applicant*: The natural person or Legal Entity that applies for (or
seeks renewal of) a Certificate. The term Applicant includes the
Applicant's Parent Company, Subsidiary Company, or Affiliate. Once the
Certificate issues, the Applicant is referred to as the Subscriber. For
Certificates issued to devices, the Applicant is the entity that
controls or operates the device named in the Certificate, even if the
device is sending the actual certificate request."

and of course removal from 3.2.2.4.

Dimitris.