[cabf_validation] BR section 3.2.2.5: Authentication for an IP address

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Mon Jan 22 11:00:45 MST 2018

I think in those cases, my position is that the IPS still owns the IP, they
are just allowing you to pay for exclusive use of it.

Whether an individual who is paying their ISP for exclusive use of a static
IP should be able to get a IP address certificate for that IP is actually a
bit
of an interesting question.

It's kind of half-way between a stable, long term static IP, and a dynamic,
hosted IP.  Thanks for bringing up this important use case.

-Tim

Kurt
> Roeckx via Validation
> Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 8:55 AM
> To: Doug Beattie <doug.beattie at globalsign.com>; CA/Browser Forum
> Validation WG List <validation at cabforum.org>
> Subject: Re: [cabf_validation] BR section 3.2.2.5: Authentication for an
IP
> address
>
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 03:45:09PM +0000, Doug Beattie via Validation
> wrote:
> > When IP addresses can be assigned dynamically, for example by ISPs, you
can
> demonstrate technical control over an IP address today, but that doesn't
mean
> you will have it tomorrow.  Does that bother anyone else?
>
> An other issue you might run into is that you can pay an ISP for a static
IP