[cabf_validation] Draft Ballot to Remove IP "Any Other Method" Validation (SC7)

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Dec 26 08:26:31 MST 2018

Thanks Wayne,

I added some comments to the doc, but since they might capture more than
just a thread-in-docs, I wanted to echo two thornier questions. I'm sorry
if I missed these being answered on the call, as I had a conflicting
appointment.

1) This proposal deviates from 3.2.2.4, in that as proposed, it does not
require validation of nameConstraints' permittedSubtrees for iPAddresses,
whereas 3.2.2.4 does require the validation for dNSName permittedSubtrees.
I think it's also attempting to provide a valuable clarification (namely,
just because it's nameConstrained doesn't mean it doesn't need to be
validated), but I'm curious the motivation to removing the validation
requirement for subCAs.

2) An OV-level requirement was added, but without clear value or reason. In
particular, it seems to (intentionally?) preclude the use of contact emails
as provided by the RIR (with example given on the doc using 8.8.8.8 via
ARIN)

I think, for this second point, it would be a far stronger validation
requirement to entirely remove the notion of "OV-equivalent" vetting, and
instead require explicit use of contact information provided by the RIR,
given that the RIR doesn't provide unambiguous incorporation information
necessary to provide that presumed OV linkage. Concretely: Making 3.2.2.5.2
about contact to the RIR-provided details, rather than by saying "Eh, looks
close enough".