[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot Proposal: Validation Method in certificatePolicies

Corey Bonnell CBonnell at trustwave.com
Wed Aug 15 09:47:32 MST 2018

Hi Wayne,
Perhaps create another extension/OID to contain the BIT STRING of validation methods for IP addresses? Doing so would remove the need to have a special numbering scheme for IP address validation method numbers and would be straightforward to process.

Additionally, if a certificate contains only iPAddress SANs, it could omit the dNSName-specific extension entirely (likewise for a certificate that contains only dNSNames). Certificates that contain both dNSNames and iPAddress SANs are rare in practice, so there is no additional space overhead in the common case.

Thanks,
Corey

Corey Bonnell
Senior Software Engineer