[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot Proposal: Validation Method in certificatePolicies

Tim Shirley TShirley at trustwave.com
Fri Aug 10 13:40:26 MST 2018

Sorry, “concluding” was a poor choice of words.  I didn’t mean to suggest the conversation was over; only that that was apparently the consensus from that particular call.  I’m just trying to get clarity of what I think I’m hearing from you: that you DO envision this information being used to make real-time trust decisions.

And I think we’re just using different definitions of transparency, rather than it being misguided.  I was simply speaking of sharing more information openly, whereas you’re adding to that definition evidence of immutability.  In terms of openness, the metadata approach provides greater potential for transparency than would be practical in a certificate.  And I see no reason it couldn’t also be made provably immutable, though certainly with more effort required to get there.

Tim Shirley
Software Architect
t: +1 412.395.2234

Trustwave | SMART SECURITY ON DEMAND