[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot Proposal: Validation Method in certificatePolicies

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Thu Aug 9 10:56:31 MST 2018

Certainly you’re aware of the Apple proposal to put revocation contact information into certificates that was discussed this Spring in Virginia? Various validation working group calls have at various times discussed putting richer validation information into certificates beyond Wayne’s proposal.  Stuffing random stuff into certificates is sort of a cottage industry at IETF, where luckily those attempts usually fail.  There’s also various proposals for adding information about potential locations to retrieve post-quantum public keys, as discussed in London.  There are a couple of other reasonable proposals I can’t talk about publicly.

Other proposals to add this, that, or the other thing to certificates surface regularly on various fora I follow.  I can’t provide an exhaustive set of links, because I simply do not have the time.  But that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.  In many of these cases, a Certificate Metadata log would be a better solution than stuffing additional information into certificates.  Internally here, the pros and cons for various use cases are debated regularly.

Of course, the biggest roadblock is that currently such logs don’t exist.  But that’s a fixable problem, for those companies with CT implementations.

-Tim