[cabf_validation] FW: Domain Validation ballot draft

J.C. Jones jjones at mozilla.com
Tue Mar 1 14:53:01 MST 2016

I'm having the same troubles Robin is with formatting in the Word
document. Nevertheless, it is attached. The two proposed changes (one
from last week, and the new clause), are below, surrounded in {{}}'s
to indicate additions.

First is the one from DV Ballot / IETF ACME alignment [1] last week,
clearing the path for the ACME-specified HTTP-01 challenge:

   Clause 6. Confirming the Applicant's control over the requested
   FQDN by confirming the presence of a Random Value or
   Request Token (contained in the name of the file, the content of
   a file, on a web page in the form of a meta tag, or any other format
   as determined by the CA) under "/.well-known/pki-validation"
+ directory, {{or another path registered with IANA for the purpose of
+ Domain Validation,}} on the Authorization Domain Name that can
   be validated over an Authorized Port.

Second is the new "Clause 10" covering the ACME TLS-SNI-01 challenge,
with acknowledgements to James Kasten at U. Michigan for draft
language:

+  {{Clause NEW. Confirming the Applicant's control over the requested
+  FQDN by confirming the presence of a Random Value within a
+  self-signed Certificate accessible by the CA via TLS over an
+  Authorized Port.}}

This is deliberately not using the Test Certificate definition, as in
TLS-SNI-01 these certificates are self-signed (and thus off-root), but
contain a Subject Alternative Name entry that is derived from a Random
Value [2]. It also does not specify "Authorization Domain Name" as the
TLS-SNI-01 protocol uses the Subject Name Indicator field as part of
the random challenge.

I believe these two adjustments will align the DV updates and the IETF
ACME efforts.

Cheers,

- J.C.

1) https://cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2016-February/000210.html