[cabf_validation] DV Ballot / IETF ACME alignment

J.C. Jones jjones at mozilla.com
Thu Feb 25 13:33:23 MST 2016

Doug,

Yes. The random value as defined for the HTTP-01 [1] and DNS-01 [2]
challenges is a random value,
generated by the CA, with at least 128 bits of entropy, encoded as
URL-safe Base64.

If a client wants to fulfill the ACME HTTP-01 challenge, the server
might supply back a JSON response:

{
  "type": "http-01",
  "token": "evaGxfADs6pSRb2LAv9IZf17Dt3juxGJ-PCt92wr-oA",
}

... which would require the client to provision a file at
"/.well-known/acme-challenge/evaGxfADs6pSRb2LAv9IZf17Dt3juxGJ-PCt92wr-oA"
containing the appropriate metadata for ACME.

1) https://ietf-wg-acme.github.io/acme/#rfc.section.7.2
2) https://ietf-wg-acme.github.io/acme/#rfc.section.7.5

- J.C.