[cabf_validation] [cabfPAG] Domain Validation Methods Proposal

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Wed Jul 29 13:16:11 MST 2015

Hmmm… the meaning of Essential Claims has already been defined as shown below, and it was heavily negotiated by all the legal departments of the browsers and CAs, and is part of the contract we all signed.  It seems pretty clear to me.  I’m not sure what more there is to discuss.

"Essential Claims" shall mean all claims in any patent or patent application in any jurisdiction in the world that would necessarily be infringed by implementation of the Final Guideline or Final Maintenance Guideline. A claim is necessarily infringed hereunder only when it is not possible to avoid infringing it because there is no non-infringing alternative for implementing the Normative Requirements of the Final Guideline or Final Maintenance Guideline. Existence of a non-infringing alternative shall be judged based on the state of the art at the time the guideline is adopted as a Final Guideline or Final Maintenance Guideline. For avoidance of doubt, if all the alternatives for performing a particular function or action would infringe claims of a patent or patent application, then all claims which cover such alternatives would be Essential Claims.