[cabf_validation] Validation proposal edits

Ben Wilson ben.wilson at digicert.com
Sat Jul 25 13:55:32 MST 2015

Hi Richard,

I agree that it would be a good thing to adjust our approach to express security requirements for validation mechanisms.

Also, in your proposal you define the Authorization Domain Name as derived either by:

Removing the “*” label from a wildcard FQDN (see Section 3.2.2.6)

Using the name returned from a DNS CNAME request, or a chain of CNAME redirects

But we still haven’t fully addressed the ambiguity between a requested FQDN and the Domain Name that is registered with a Registrar.

On the one hand, we could define an ADN to include the latter.  (Previously we’ve attempted to describe how to derive the registered domain name from the requested FQDN without running afoul of second-level domains.)

If we want to distinguish Authorization Domain Name from the Domain Name registered with a Registrar (and use the ADN only for some of the validation methods), then I think we need to be explicit.

I’ll work on this a bit today, see what I can do in both areas, and circulate another draft.

Thanks,

Ben