[Smcwg-public] Fields for S/MIME CSRs

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Mon Oct 2 17:05:17 UTC 2023

We should definitely add guidance, but it needs to be couched in “if using CSRs …”.

I consider CSRs to be mildly obsolete, and generally useful only because they are the format that most key generation tools and CA toolchains are used to dealing with and have robust support for.  Which I agree that clarifying that a CSR is only for transporting a key, and PoP, if necessary.  Though CSRs tend to be bad for PoP anyway, especially if you remove the identity information, because without any context binding the CSR is globally replayable and therefore doesn’t prove anything about who owns that key.

But there are many ways to request a certificate that don’t use a CSR at all, and those are often preferable anyway.  We need to make sure we don’t accidentally negatively impacts the ability to use better methods than CSRs.

-Tim