[Smcwg-public] Ballot SMC01: Final Guideline for “S/MIME Baseline Requirements”

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Thu Sep 29 09:49:19 UTC 2022

On 29/9/2022 12:40 μ.μ., Pedro FUENTES via Smcwg-public wrote:
> Hi there,
> I was just thinking on the discussion yesterday about the Country, and
> the issue detected about the “Subject being validated” (and included
> in the certificate) to be the country where the company is registered
> (and I said “registered” because I understood there were opinions
> saying that this field would be redundant as we had already the
> organisation identifier, which is related to the country of registration).
>
> Although we follow already this practice, so currently for MPKI
> customers we include the country of the company, as verified, this has
> recurrently annoyed some customers that have employees in different
> locations (sometimes changing the state/province, not necessarily the
> country), so maybe this deserves some discussion.
>
> My first question would be… is there really consensus about setting
> the country as the country (and state, if present) where the company
> is registered? The current writing of the guidelines talks about the
> “Country of the Subject”, so until now it could be understood that
> this was about the person, not the company… I heard some discordant
> voices and for me wasn’t clear the general opinion.
>
> My second question would be… could we specify in the certificate the
> country where the company “operates”, instead of the country where is
> registered? My rational for this question is as follows: Same as in
> the BR for SSL, it’s required to be done a “validation of physical
> existence”, and this could eventually allow to include in the
> certificate dutifully validated countries (or states) where the
> company operates, and not necessarily the country where the company is
> registered… This in fact opens up a possibility… Could it be
> understood that the company operates where the employee that gets the
> certificate is located?

My reading of the requirements is that ANY countryName value where the
country is registered or operates (this needs to be validated of course)
is acceptable.

> My third question… once there’s intent to take the BR for SSL as
> reference… what about the obligation to include the state/province and
> country if the organisation name is present? Was this discussed?
> (maybe I missed that call)

Only the countryName was discussed to be added as a SHALL. I believe the
logic is the same for ST and L. They need to follow the organization for
the sponsored profile, not the individual.

Cheers,
Dimitris.