[Smcwg-public] Microsoft requirements for OCSP URLs in S/MIME certificates

Karina Sirota Goodley Karina.Sirota at microsoft.com
Sun Oct 9 17:39:21 UTC 2022

Hi all,

In regards to the question of Microsoft requirements for OCSP URLs in S/MIME certificates, I had to do quite a bit of digging around the various teams across Microsoft. However, I can confirm that OCSP can be optional for any non-TLS certificate types. This includes S/MIME.

OCSP is not optional for TLS at this time. Thus, we will be changing our policy to : "All non-TLS end-entity certificates must contain an AIA extension with a valid OCSP URL". We will continue to investigate OCSP for TLS.

Best,
Karina Sirota Goodley