[Smcwg-public] email address in CommonName

Corey Bonnell Corey.Bonnell at digicert.com
Wed Mar 23 21:36:02 UTC 2022

Hi Inigo,

Thanks for raising this. Comments inline.

> If we support emailaddress in CN, then there could be a potential
truncation if the length is beyond 64 characters. Or are not allowing to
enter the email address if it´s above this value? Up to the CAs to decide?

I see this as similar to the situation we currently have with serverAuth
certificates: if a Domain Name exceeds 64 characters, then it cannot be
included in the CN despite being included in a SAN dNSName. Allowing values
>64 characters violates RFC 5280, and we require adherence to 5280.
Additionally, truncating the email address may be an attack vector, as an
unvalidated email address would be included in the CN. For these reasons, I
don’t believe it’s permissible to include such email addresses in the CN.

> Even though CN is an optional field in the Subject for all types (MV, OV,
SV and IV), in all of them, it´s allowed the use of email address.
Furthermore, in MV is the only option. Maybe a clarification is needed in
section 7.1.4.2.2 a.

I think it’s a good idea to add clarity here, but I’m not quite sure of the
best way to do it. If we explicitly call out the length limitation for CN,
then it raises the question why we didn’t explicitly specify the length
limits for the other attribute types. Would a general “Attribute values MUST
be encoded according to RFC 5280”-esque statement at the top of 7.1.4 add
clarity?

Thanks,

Corey