[Smcwg-public] Proposed method for "validating applicant as operator of associated mail servers"

Fotis Loukos fotisl at google.com
Fri Jan 21 14:53:59 UTC 2022

Hello Stephen,

It would probably be helpful to understand the underlying principles of the
validation method in 3.2.2.1 and the proposed validation method to fully
understand the risks and decide on the validation reuse.

Method 3.2.2.1 (Enterprise RA) validates that the Applicant has control
over the domain portion of the email address. The underlying principle is
that since the Applicant has control over the domain, they can change the
MX pointers to point to another mail server that they control, and
therefore control the mailbox. In fact, there is a concern here on whether
a validation method that verifies operation of the domain by verifying that
the Applicant controls the content served over HTTPS, such as 3.2.2.4.6
(Agreed‑Upon Change to Website), can be used to validate control of the
mailboxes.

The proposed method directly validates control of the mail server by
performing resolution of the SMTP FQDN. Therefore, the underlying principle
is the same.

Since the security properties of both methods are the same, I believe that
the reuse of the validation data should be the same, unless there is
something I am missing.

Best regards,

Fotis

--

Fotis Loukos |  Security Engineer |  fotisl at google.com |
Brandschenkestrasse 110, 8002 Zurich, Switzerland

This email can contain confidential information.If you received this email
by mistake,
do not pass it to third parties and delete all copies and enclosures,
and let us know that it has been delivered to the wrong address.

Thank you.