[Smcwg-public] a few remaining comments on the SMIME BRs that I still have not seen addressed

Ben Wilson bwilson at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 30 20:30:56 UTC 2022

WRT:

7.1 - Please explain the requirement for  "non-sequential Certificate
serial numbers greater than zero (0) and less than 2^159 containing at
least 64 bits of output from a CSPRNG"  – I understood its purpose with
SHA-1 – but not SHA-2 or beyond. There is no reason to retain this just
because it is in the serverAuth BRs unless there is a good security reason
for it.

>> comes from Mozilla.

Do we want to raise this issue on mdsp and see whether there is a desire to
remove this requirement for post-SHA1 certificates?

Ben