[Smcwg-public] Certificate Suspension

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Aug 29 09:35:27 UTC 2022

The time-stamp issue is not related specifically on suspension but to
the revocation of the signing certificate in general. Current
implementations don't verify the "validity of the signature" based on
"signing time" in order for the recipient to check if the signing
certificate was valid at "signing time" but they check the validity of
the certificate at "checking time". This means that when a certificate
expires, or gets revoked after some good signatures were made, ALL
signatures become invalid, which some Subscribers and Relying Parties
find very annoying.

Dimitris.