[Smcwg-public] Certificate Suspension

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Thu Aug 25 18:48:09 UTC 2022

Well, the problem is that no existing mail clients do this, and mail clients probably never will.  The example you provide shows just how horrible the user experience for suspension really is.  The practical effect is that it causes transient validation errors that users cannot possibly understand, which will inevitably cause users to conclude that validation errors happen randomly and can safely be ignored.

On the other hand, I'm aware that lots of CAs out there currently support suspension, for the reasons Dimitris has mentioned.  So, based on the principles we've sort of agreed to, it should at least live on in the legacy profile.

As a general industry trend, I usually see new ecosystems moving away from suspension as allowed, as it is much easier to handle security systems things only ever go from good to bad, and never the reverse.  Whether the additional complexity suspension introduces is necessary or good is in my opinion debatable.  The biggest factor to me for the S/MIME BRs is whether it is important enough that certificate consumers will commit the resources to make it work reliably and understandably, perhaps by implementing the sorts of improvements Doug suggested.

I generally think it's better that suspension is something that goes away over time, but I won't lose sleep over it if others disagree.  As Russ correctly notes, this is probably something we will still be discussing in 2050.

-Tim