[Smcwg-public] Comments and questions on draft SMIME BRs

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrust.com
Mon Apr 25 14:48:20 UTC 2022

Entrust would also like to provide some comments to the S/MIME BRs. First, great job, we have gone from zero to a set of baseline requirements which are now open for community review before finalization.

In some cases, we find the requirements are above current practices, so could also be considered above what we have considered to be baseline for SSL and Code Signing. The result might be to either increase time required for adoption, or potentially reducing identity which we currently see in certificates.

Monitoring of Enterprise RAs

  *   Although this is required from SSL BRs, the Enterprise RA can only approve sub-domains and approve certificate issuance. There is nothing to monitor for sub-domains, as this is in the Subscriber's control. For approving SSL certificate issuance, this could be as simple as 2-factor login. In essence for SSL certificates monitoring of an Enterprise RA is a minimal task.
  *   For S/MIME certificates, the Enterprise RA would have to verify firstName/surname and the front end of the email address. In addition, the customer could have many Enterprise RAs, which support the issuance of thousands of certificates per year. So how do we monitor this activity and do we really need to? Enterprise RAs are really technically constrained to verified organizations and domain names, so is monitoring required? Could we enforce the Enterprise RA requirements in the Subscriber agreement?
  *   If auditing/monitoring is required, then should a list of methods be provided? If not, then each CA can do whatever they can convince their auditor is good enough.

EV Verification

  *   EV vetting does not appear to be a baseline requirement, it is costly and there is no extended benefit which we have from SSL and Code Signing. OV vetting does appear to an appropriate baseline requirement and is currently used by CAs today.
  *   If we have EV vetting for an Organization, how does this extend to Certificate Approver, Contract Signer and Certificate Requester validation? Do we need this? This is increased vetting for S/MIME BR, which is not required by the SSL or Code Signing BRs. We already have the Enterprise RA, which can authorize a certificate to be issued.
  *   Also, there may be too many restrictions which would result in decreasing identity. For instance, can we remove 3.2.3.6 Operational Existence?

S/MIME Revocation

  *   Should revoked S/MIME certificates be removed from the CRL/OCSP responses after the certificate has expired? Since an email can be read after certificate expiry, shouldn't the relying party know the revocation status?

Subscriber Private Key Generation

  *   Section 6.1.2 doesn't provide any indication that a CA could generate the key pair for the subscriber. The CA should be allowed to do this and that the section should provide requirements for protecting key delivery. This has been addressed in the CSBRs.

Subscriber Key Recovery

  *   Not addressed. Should we address recovery, if a CA has generated the key pair?

Multi-factor

  *   Should this either be removed or updated? "The CA SHALL enforce multi-factor authentication for all accounts capable of directly causing certificate issuance." This appears to be a drop-in requirement, which again could be removed or updated for more clarity.

Thanks, Bruce.