[Smcwg-public] Methods for email verification

Stefan Selbitschka selbitschka at rundquadrat.at
Mon Mar 1 10:18:46 UTC 2021

Sorry for my late feedback but I was busy last week.

Following your discussion about the reuse of validation to issue
multiple certificate the question is how long should a validation last?
Especially if we talk about validation via email it could be problematic
if the validation last more then a day, since we cannot control the
providers mailbox handling, reuse of email addresses etc.

Just consider the case where I'm requesting a certificate for a email
distribution group and get kicked out after some days. I'm should not be
able to request another certificate without a prove of possession of the
mailbox.

To minimize a possible attack surface I would prefer a validation for
every issuance. Maybe it make sense to distinguish between a complete
validation and a simple proof of possession (may by sending a otp token
or whatever), if a validation is getting to complex to do it more often.

Since I'm the newbee here my apologies if I missed some prior discussion
about that topic which led to that conclusion.

regards

Stefan