[Smcwg-public] Methods for email verification

Russ Housley housley at vigilsec.com
Fri Feb 19 14:19:54 UTC 2021

Regarding name constrains on email addresses in subordinate CA certificates, RFC 5280 says:

   A name constraint for Internet mail addresses MAY specify a
   particular mailbox, all addresses at a particular host, or all
   mailboxes in a domain.  To indicate a particular mailbox, the
   constraint is the complete mail address.  For example,
   "root at example.com" indicates the root mailbox on the host
   "example.com".  To indicate all Internet mail addresses on a
   particular host, the constraint is specified as the host name.  For
   example, the constraint "example.com" is satisfied by any mail
   address at the host "example.com".  To specify any address within a
   domain, the constraint is specified with a leading period (as with
   URIs).  For example, ".example.com" indicates all the Internet mail
   addresses in the domain "example.com", but not Internet mail
   addresses on the host "example.com".

I think it would be acceptable for a CA to validate control over a complete email address, such as "root at example.com".  However, it is not possible for the CA to enumerate all of the addresses on a particular host or in a particular domain.  So, in those cases, the validation needs to be for the domain.

Russ