[Smcwg-public] email addresses in S/MIME certificates

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Fri Nov 20 07:08:44 MST 2020

Mozilla’s email validation policy does not  apply to the UPN and since this is used for authentication, not secure mail, I hope we can keep it that way in this spec.

https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/200

I think we should permit more than 1 email address in the SAN for those customer that have multiple aliases.  For me, doug.beattie and douglas.beattie are both supported, and I know that come companies periodically change the domain for their employees.  For example, I’ve noticed that Entrust is using a mix of entrustdatacard.com and entrust.com.

I’d recommend that we permit a max of one email address in the certificate subject DN, but multiple in the SAN:RFC822

Doug