[Servercert-wg] Transitive Trust and DCV (was Re: Ballot SC-080 V1)

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue Sep 24 22:01:28 UTC 2024

Yes, if you read between the lines of my email, you’ll see that I acknowledge that the design goals have changed in the last six years … it’s why I think a reanalysis might actually be prudent. We’ve learned a lot.

Part of the reason the BRs are currently so domain-control centric is that many of the older “ownership” based methods have been removed. Some of them by me 😊

But if we want to specify new design goals instead of the old ones, I think we should do so explicitly and not implicitly, otherwise everybody will be secretly thinking slightly different things, and we’ll have endless arguments about whether methods need to be removed because they offended George’s sensibilities but not John or Paul’s, and who knows what Ringo thinks about all this silliness.

I think you can sort of already see that playing out in this thread.

-Tim