[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins - Ballot SC-080 V1: "Sunsetting use of WHOIS to identify Domain Contacts"

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Thu Sep 19 10:24:42 UTC 2024

On 18/9/2024 11:45 μ.μ., Tobias S. Josefowitz wrote:
> Hi Dimitris,
>
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2024, Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) wrote:
>
>> On 18/9/2024 5:40 ?.?., Tobias S. Josefowitz wrote:
>>
>>>  That said, as the issue presents to me, it seems to illustrates that
>>>  multiple CAs must have been querying WHOIS servers which's
>>> hostnames and
>>>  domains simply do not exist anymore, for longer than just a brief
>>> period,
>>>  The possibility for this to occur without anyone noticing and
>>> sounding the
>>>  alarm to the WebPKI community alone seems to disqualify WHOIS based
>>> Domain
>>>  Validation as an acceptable method; this seemingly inherent lack of
>>>  monitoring into validations/validation attempts performed via this
>>> method
>>>  seems reason enough to retire it. And soon. What else have we
>>> missed, if
>>>  we missed this?
>>
>> Are you claiming that some TLDs or Domain Names are defunct? I'm sure
>> this is true in many cases. However, the majority of the TLDs work as
>> expected. If a TLD is defunct (i.e. not accessible), why should the
>> WebPKI community raise an alarm? Nobody can use that TLD reliably in
>> the WWW anyway.
>>
>> I would expect the WebPKI community to raise an alarm if they detect
>> there is a malicious TLD operator or Registrar that has been
>> compromised like it happened with .tg
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/4kj8Jeem0EU/m/GvqsgIzSAAAJ>
>> (thank you Andrew, that's exactly the case I recalled and couldn't
>> find references!), because that puts relying parties expected an
>> encrypted interaction with those Domain Names in jeopardy.

Hi Tobi,

> I don't think "defunct" is a useful categorization for answering the
> question we have before us, which is how to react to the fact that TLD
> operators, IANA's list of CCTLDs and accompanying metadata, and the
> implementers of whois clients unknowingly, unintentionally, and with
> no practical awareness of the weight we placed on them, have
> disappointed our expectations and defied our assumptions.

I didn't mean "defunct" to mean a "malicious" operator. I meant it as an
operator that has inaccessible resources. For example, their DNS server
is down or not operational. I should have made it clearer.

With this clarification, I hope you understand why I said that such an
operator is not creating as much risk as a malicious operator.

Dimitris.