[Servercert-wg] [External Sender] Re: Discussion Period Begins - Ballot SC-080 V1: "Sunsetting use of WHOIS to identify Domain Contacts"

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Tue Sep 17 15:59:12 UTC 2024

Andrew,

I was not referring to any WHOIS server, but rather to the information
about domain "owners" that a registrar is supposed to collect and keep.

So you believe that if a CA does the following, the domain contact email
they can (sometimes) get is /unreliable/?

1) Consult the list of accredited domain registrars on the IANA website
(https://www.icann.org/en/accredited-registrars), thus finding
confirmation of one particular registrar's website the CA was looking for.
2) Access the website found in point 1 above and query the information
available on a certain domain.
3) At this point, sometimes (rarely) obtain, among other information,
also the email address of a domain contact.

Note that here I'm not talking about the WHOIS protocol nor WHOIS
servers, but about the information that the domain registrar has the
duty to collect and store (not necessarily publish) about the subject
who registered a domain.

Regards,

Adriano