[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins - Ballot SC-080 V2: "Sunset the use of WHOIS to identify Domain Contacts and relying DCV Methods”

Ryan Dickson ryandickson at google.com
Thu Oct 10 14:41:02 UTC 2024

Hi Yoshihiko,

Thanks for clarifying your question.

In my opinion, as currently written, the phrase “direct contact" is not
well-defined by the TLS BRs.

My interpretation of “direct contact" between a CA and the Domain Name
Registrar is a phone-call or email between representatives of the two
organizations, possibly also involving some sort of automated system.

To help better describe my interpretation, please see the illustrative
examples below:

Phone or Email:
- CA representative calls/emails the Registrar.
- A representative of the Registrar authenticates the CA representative.
- The CA representative asks the Registrar representative to look up the
Domain Contact information for the target domain.
- The Registrar representative looks up the Domain Contact information by
relying on its authoritative database / source of truth, and shares this
with the CA representative.
- The CA representative uses the Domain Contact information as permitted by
the TLS BRs.

Automated System:
- CA representative submits a form requesting Domain Contact information
from the Registrar.
- The Registrar authenticates the requestor.
- The Registrar looks up the Domain Contact information by relying on its
authoritative database / source of truth, and shares this with the CA
representative (e.g., phone or email).
- The CA representative uses the Domain Contact information as permitted by
the TLS BRs.

My interpretation is heavily influenced by language in the TLS EVGs which,
in my opinion, establishes framing for the communication mechanisms
considered by “direct contact" through phrasing such as “or by direct
contact with the Incorporating or Registration Agency in person or via
mail, e‐mail, Web address, or telephone, using an address or phone number
obtained directly from the Qualified Government Information Source,
Incorporating or Registration Agency, or from a Qualified Independent
Information Source.” (from 3.2.2.2.2 (“Acceptable Method of Verification"))

Consequently, I would not consider querying a Registrar’s WHOIS service to
constitute “direct contact.” I further interpret the WatchTowr report [1]
to have demonstrated flaws with several Registrar WHOIS-function websites.

If this interpretation is misaligned with others’ expectations, discussion
is welcome.

Thanks,
Ryan

[1]