[Servercert-wg] Subject attribute encoding order requirement (rationale for)

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Thu Mar 21 08:39:41 UTC 2024

All, can anyone help me find the past email discussion, or at least the
rationale that someone wrote somewhere (e.g. on Github?), supporting the
Subject attributes encoding relative order requirement that was
introduced in BR 2.0.0 (Ballot SC-062) ?

I am talking about §7.1.4.2 Subject Attribute Encoding, and specifically
about this language:

"CAs that include attributes in the Certificate subject field that are
listed in the table below
SHALL encode those attributes in the relative order as they appear in
the table and follow the
specified encoding requirements for the attribute."

I do not recall, and cannot find, a discussion on this mailing list on
this particular topic. Maybe I just missed a whole bunch of email
messages due to some otherwise undetected email problem. I also did a
search on Github, starting from the links provided at
https://cabforum.org/2023/03/17/ballot-sc62v2-certificate-profiles-update/),
but was unable to figure out who proposed it and, above all, for what
reason.

Adriano