[Servercert-wg] Fixing lag between requirements changes and linter updates

Inigo Barreira Inigo.Barreira at sectigo.com
Wed Apr 3 17:13:38 UTC 2024

Hi,

I like the spirit of the linters but as said in some of the emails it´s not that easy for some members (even drafting a ballot nowadays 😊) and it´s not required at all (can´t be added in a ballot something that is not a requirement).

So, although there´s been many bugzillas indicating the lack of a specific linter update, that´s an issue in the configuration of the CA systems, that is a specific task of any CA and can´t blame on the linters. Rely on linters could be an option, an alternative, but if that´s a requirement you can create more problems. For example, you mention that Rob and Matthew are the maintainers of one linter, if there´s a problem with that linter, then someone may/will have the excuse to blame these 2 persons for not updating/changing/modifying whatever requirements and that´s the reason for their fault,etc., and IMHO that wouldn´t be fair, considering what the linters are and how they are maintained, which is in a voluntary basis.

I think that linters are good tools to help but not de-facto ones and, in any case, it has to be clear that the latest and only responsible for any mis-issuance is the CA itself.

Regards