[Servercert-wg] Subject Common Name recommendation vs practice

Corey Bonnell Corey.Bonnell at digicert.com
Mon Mar 20 21:47:03 UTC 2023

The discussion surrounding Ballot 208 provides some context about the interoperability concerns that Jeremy is referring to. Client implementations would fail to process certificates that had no subject attributes, so Ballot 208 was going to allow the inclusion of dnQualifier attributes as a substitute for including CN. However, the ballot failed to pass due to lack of support from browsers [1]. I don’t believe there has been much substantive discussion on that topic within servercert-wg since the failure of that ballot.

On a very related note, there is an Internet Draft that obsoletes the use of the CN attribute as a source of certified domain names when TLS clients perform hostname checking [2].

Thanks,

Corey

[1] https://lists.cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2017-October/028798.html

[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-rfc6125bis/