[Servercert-wg] SC-59 Weak Key Guidance v.2 - Discussion Period

Tom Zermeno tom at ssl.com
Thu Jun 29 16:55:10 UTC 2023

Christophe,

The consideration of removing the checks brings up many questions.  As a CA
representative, do you feel that the removal of a requirement to check for
and revoke Debian Weak Key certificates would pose a risk to relying
parties?  Granted, the method has been patched for 15 years and the
certificates are almost never seen in the wild, and to generate DWK
certificates someone would either have not patched their system in over a
decade or specifically gone out of their way to obtain the software versions
capable of creating those certs. Should we chalk it up to a "Darwin Award"
for the subscribers who accidentally, or ignorantly, fall into that
category?  Should CAs still be responsible for the relying parties who will
undoubtedly be hurt when the certificate is cracked, or would/could that
burden be placed upon the subscriber by an Agreement clause akin to "keep
your private key safe"?

Tom