[Servercert-wg] Message

Aaron Gable aaron at letsencrypt.org
Mon Jul 31 22:41:12 UTC 2023

Agreed, I look forward to discussing this with the whole group.

In general I strongly approve of having CAA checks for all forms of
issuance. However, this version of CAA (implemented as a new second layer
hidden service descriptor) requires the CA to operate a Tor Client in order
to inspect it. This (in my opinion) completely obviates the benefits of the
proposed "onion-csr-01" method (equivalent to the current BRs Appendix B
2.b. method) -- namely that the whole validation process can be conducted
without the CA operating a Tor client to reach out to the onion service in
question. I believe that requiring CAA checks *of this form* will prevent
adoption / implementation by CAs, and thus defeats the purpose of the draft.

Aaron