[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins: Ballot SC-061v3: New CRL Entries must have a Revocation Reason Code

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Wed Feb 1 19:36:14 UTC 2023

Well, if Mozilla policy is wrong, we shouldn’t do the wrong thing just because it’s already in Mozilla policy.  It just needs we would need a bit of coordination with Mozilla to fix it.  However I don’t believe that’s necessary.

If you read the highlighted section Wendy posted, it’s pretty clear that RFC 5280 explicitly intends for superseded to be (mis)used in this manner.  Only the first unhighlighted part before the first “or” requires a request for a new certificate.

I share Aaron’s concern about the fact that this code means three things, two of them unrelated to the other, but unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be an IANA expansion point here to allow easy allocation of a new reason code.  However a short RFC could allocate a “compliance (9)” reason code and describe its proper use, if desired.

I hope I don’t have to state that the CABForum unilaterally choosing to use an undocumented reason code would be highly undesirable.

-Tim