[Servercert-wg] Ballot proposal: require distributionPoint in sharded CRLs

Corey Bonnell Corey.Bonnell at digicert.com
Fri Oct 14 20:16:36 UTC 2022

> Seems there may still be a residual small risk if a new CRL shard is started before CCADB is updated any certificate that should be covered in that new shard gets revoked prior to the CCADB update.  But maybe people perceive that timing issue as too small to be a concern.

I agree this is a risk and I think this is an area that should be clarified, especially since the CCADB and Root Program policies are silent on the order in which new sharded CRLs can be populated with entries and when those new shards need to be disclosed, or the relevant time frame in which such updates must occur. Hopefully CAs are updating CCADB with new CRL shard URIs prior to populating them with entries but clarifying this would eliminate any risk from certificate revocations not being processed due to those shards not being timely disclosed in CCADB.

Thanks,

Corey

So just to be clear, this change proposal is only trying to address the ability of a browser relying on CRL disclosures in CCADB to be able to ensure they have the complete set of CRLs disclosed there, not to address the potential risk to any given revoked certificate not being seen as revoked because the RP is looking at a CRL that does not have that certificate in scope due to sharding?

Seems there may still be a residual small risk if a new CRL shard is started before CCADB is updated any certificate that should be covered in that new shard gets revoked prior to the CCADB update.  But maybe people perceive that timing issue as too small to be a concern.

thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Brown

Supporting GSA