[Servercert-wg] Proposal to Incorporate Mozilla's CRL Revocation Reason Code Requirements into the BRs

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Tue Nov 15 09:22:08 UTC 2022

On 15/11/2022 1:02 π.μ., Ben Wilson via Servercert-wg wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Any additional thoughts, recommendations, etc.?

Hi Ben,

I assume that the use cases described within the parenthesis under
4.9.1.1 are "examples" which means that the "i.e." should be replaced
with "e.g.".

I am not very much in favor of the breakown of subsections for each
revocation reasonCode which repeats the language "SHOULD revoke within
24 hours and SHALL revoke within 5 days" in various cases, and gets
especially confusing when the Subscriber requests in writing, which can
apply to several reasonCodes.

The previous attempt keeping the existing structure that CAs/Auditors
are already familiar with, seems like a better approach. That's because
CAs already have controls in place to handle "specific revocation use
cases" as they are listed in the current sections 4.9.1.1 and 4.9.1.2.
All we need to do now is map those known cases to a specific RFC5280
reasonCode.

If additional revocation use cases have been documented in MRSP, we can
add those in 4.9.1.1/2 as needed.

What do others think? Should we try to minimize the changes to 4.9.1.1
and 4.9.1.2 or do a complete restructuring?

Thanks,
Dimitris.