[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL]-Re: SCXX Ballot proposal: Debian Weak keys

Chris Kemmerer chris at ssl.com
Wed May 4 16:12:26 UTC 2022

Thanks, Karina and Ryan. If we understand correctly the questions are:

1) How does a CA gather useful information to observe 6.1.1.3?
2) Can we clarify 6.1.1.3 item 3 regarding rejection of an request using
a compromised key?

6.1.1.3, both currently and with the proposed changes, does the following:

1) offers *broad *guidance regarding a private key's makeup, generation
and liability to compromise (items 1 and 2 in our proposed version of
6.1.1.3);
2) instructs CAs on handling a *submitted, previously compromised key*
(item 3); and
3) gives *specific *guidance for identified issues (item 4 as proposed
for ROCA/Debian weak keys, and Martijn's suggested addition for the
Fermat attack).

For the broader items, CAs are currently required to be aware of and
protect against issues related to improper key requirements and
demonstrated/proven methods of key compromise. This is existing language
which this proposal does not change, and, as Ryan notes, CAs are
expected to use community resources to track developments and discussion.

Our original intention with this ballot was to correct what we believe
was insufficient guidance specifically for Debian weak key issues, and
for these at least, the work of HARICA and Sectigo has provided the
community a useful tool - a consultable, finite data set to check
against. We do think it'd be useful to include one or more locations for
this resource in this ballot language, if these can be agreed upon.
(We've offered to host this data ourselves, but welcome other options.)

Beyond Debian weak keys, though, we're happy (for some values of happy)
to tackle other matters as well. We are open to language on mitigation
against the Fermat Attack issue, and will note again that Let's Encrypt
has updated Boulder to address this
(https://github.com/letsencrypt/boulder/pull/5853). Is Martijn's
proposal sufficient?

For Karina's point re: Subscriber Key Compromise, we agree that the
language could be clarified so that the particular (compromised) key is
the unit of rejection rather than the Subscriber. Perhaps something like
(addition in *bold*):

"The CA has previously been made aware that the Subscriber's *submitted
*Private Key has suffered a Key Compromise, such as through the
provisions of Section 4.9.1.1;"