[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins: SC-54: Onion cleanup

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Sun Mar 6 16:26:42 UTC 2022

Thanks for the feedback Aaron,

On 4/3/2022 12:27 π.μ., Aaron Gable wrote:
> Two very minor comments, provided here because there is not an
> accompanying PR on which github comments can be posted:

Right, the pull request was posted in the validation SC list but if it
helps, it is available at https://github.com/dzacharo/servercert/pull/4.

> > As part of the Certificate issuance process, the CA MUST retrieve
> and process CAA records in accordance with RFC 8659 for each `dNSName`
> in the `subjectAltName` extension that does not contain an Onion
> Domain Name. If the CA issues, they MUST do so within the TTL of the
> CAA record, or 8 hours, whichever is greater.
>
> Is it more proper to say "each `dNSName`... that *does not contain* an
> Onion Domain Name" or "each `dNSName`... that *is not* an Onion Domain
> Name"?

Aaron, are you proposing to make the text "does not contain" in bold
letters? I also believe that the word "contain" seems ok in the original
text.

I tried to reverse the sentence a bit and it seems easier to read.

/"As part of the Certificate issuance process, for each `dNSName` in the
`subjectAltName` extension that does not contain an Onion Domain Name,
the CA MUST retrieve and process CAA records in accordance with RFC 8659."/

Are people ok with this or should I revert?

> > 4. When a Certificate includes an Onion Domain Name, the Domain Name
> shall not be considered an Internal Name provided that the Certificate
> was issued in compliance with this [Appendix
> B](#appendix-b--issuance-of-certificates-for-onion-domain-names).
>
> The number of this item was updated from "3" to "4", but there is not
> actually a different third item being added. It should remain "3".

I made the change. The markdown correctly rendered it as "3" despite the
text being "4" :)

New immutable link at

  * https://github.com/cabforum/servercert/compare/cda0f92ee70121fd5d692685b97ebb6669c74fb7...1bac785b2fd6a3fe0957434f9d13b13a47d4d19b
    <https://github.com/cabforum/servercert/compare/cda0f92ee70121fd5d692685b97ebb6669c74fb7...1bac785b2fd6a3fe0957434f9d13b13a47d4d19b>

Please check the above and if there are no other changes, I will restart
the discussion on Tuesday.

Thanks,
Dimitris.