[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC-52 version 2: Specify CRL Validity Intervals in Seconds

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed Jan 5 19:21:54 UTC 2022

On 5/1/2022 8:53 μ.μ., Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) wrote:

> The current BRs don't have "soft" or "hard" limits except for some
> cases where we use SHOULD and SHALL for 397 and 398 days validity. If
> we want to have this notion of "hard" deadlines, if the expectation is
> to run a task at least monthly, we already say that it needs to be
> executed "at least every 31 days". The expectation is clear (monthly),
> the precision is aligned (31 days) and the implementation is simple
> and convenient.
>
> This is not the same for cases where the expectation is to execute
> something quarterly and the requirements say "at least every 90 days"
> because the precision misses the expectation. In this case, the CA is
> forced to drift the quarters to be on the safe side. If we wanted to
> follow the existing patterns, we would need to make this "at least
> every 93 days". Even for the status of subCAs in OCSP responses we
> didn't say "at least every 360 or 365 days" but used "at least every
> 367 days" to help CAs implement it annually.
>
> Our "danger zone" should be practical if possible. Like I said, the
> drifting problem may create security problems if a CA needs to build
> custom code and complicated procedures for otherwise simple scheduling
> tasks.

I recalled the conversation from October
<https://lists.cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2021-October/001708.html>
where you noted that a month being 30 days and a year 365 days is
inconsistent of how Root programs measure time intervals. I think in
parallel with this ballot we could go over the various time intervals
and make things more consistent to avoid ambiguity. It's just a few
places outside the certificate, crl, ocsp validity periods.