[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC-52 version 2: Specify CRL Validity Intervals in Seconds

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Jan 5 16:43:32 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 7:31 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <
dzacharo at harica.gr> wrote:

> I clearly understand your opinion about the "ceiling" requirements.
> However, this is not what those documents currently say.

Could you be more specific about what you believe the documents say?

That is, for any requirement talking about a date range and some
upper-bound, it's inherently a ceiling as written, because you cannot let
more time elapse than the requirement. We don't have, as far as I know, any
requirements that require you do something exactly (no sooner, no later) -
they're all of the variation of (no later). But maybe I'm overlooking
something, so if you can be precise about the concern, that may help.

> If we are to move to this direction -which I am fully supportive- it must
> me done collectively and with clear language. With that said, if we are to
> move to this approach defining "ceilings", we need to justify the purpose
> and security implications. For example, I would argue that a CA should be
> able to perform a pen-test annually without caring about the additional
> second or even a day. I would argue that security-wise, performing a
> pen-test every 365 days or every 366 days has negligent impact on the
> security of the system. Obviously this is different from the certificate,
> OCSP, CRL validity some of which have clear and precise language coming
> from normative RFCs.

I totally hear you on this, but I think this is overlooking my previous
reply. The goal is *not* to have a pen test every 365/366 days, it's to
have a pen test *at least* every 365/366 days. In practice, a forward
thinking CA would do this *more* frequently: the annual requirement just
represents the upper-bound.

This is where the Baseline Requirements are *not* the definition of what a
"great" CA looks like, but rather, the absolute minimum that CAs need to
meet.

Just to recap where we're talking about intervals:

   - 4.9.7 CRL issuance ("*at least* once every twelve months", "*at
least *within
   24 hours", "MUST NOT be more than twelve months")
   - 4.9.10 OCSP ("*at least* every twelve months", "*within* 24 hours")
   - 6.3.2 Operational periods ("MUST NOT have a Validity Period greater
   than 398 days")
   - 8.1 Frequency or circumstances of assessment ("no earlier than twelve
   (12) months prior to", "within ninety (90) days")
   - 8.6 Communications of results ("no later than three months after")
   - 5.4.3 Retention period for Audit Logs ("for at least two years")
   - 5.5.2 Retention period for archive ("at least seven years")
   - 8.4 Topics covered by assessment ("but in no case may any non-core
   control be audited less often than once every three years")

There's no reference to weeks in the BRs, AFAICT.

So all of these represent upper-bounds on security sensitive tasks, and as
far as I can tell, are all explicitly worded as upper-bounds. Am I
overlooking an interpretation here?

> Understood. Please see my previous comment about making this explicit in
> the document(s) because until this is clearly written, there will be CAs
> out there who will read "SHALL execute this at least every 4 days" and will
> set their systems exactly at that number and risk becoming non-compliance
> because of a second (like with the 397, 398 certificate validity periods),
> when the expectation is "SHOULD execute this at least every 3 days and
> SHALL execute at least every 4 days".
>
> I'm sure CAs would welcome a clear "catch-all" requirement that says "you
> must take all those time periods as the absolute ceiling and should
> implement controls below those documented limits for safety".

I mean, isn't that in the very name of the document - the Baseline
Requirements? All of these represent the bare minimum controls/safety
margins, and just like in any safety/security critical environment, the
expectation is that you build tolerances in to your processes. If the
requirement is you must support X load, then as engineers, you make sure
you support X load plus more. If the requirement is you must do something
no later than 24 hours, then you build your process to look at 12 hours,
and start escalating at that point, and then hit the safety critical alarms
when  you get at 8 hours. If you're building something that requires you
support 200psi, then your "danger zone" is precisely as you approach
200psi, because your system is not rated for more by spec - even if you
would have built in extra tolerances.

That's perhaps the disconnect with understanding your feedback.

> I believe the previous clarification that this accuracy applies for hours
> and days only, was very helpful. To your question about the frequency of
> offline ceremonies, There are those who support that offline ceremonies
> should be done only when absolutely necessary (because they contains
> several additional risks) and those that support that they should be done
> more frequently than absolutely necessary because repetition also brings
> improvements and stability in documented procedures.
>
> For the specific issue regarding CRL/OCSP signing ceremonies, we could
> start a separate thread if you believe they should be performed more
> frequently. In order to avoid the risks of inaccessibility to offline
> facilities (as we've seen some cases due to COVID-19 lockdowns), we could
> move to a position of proposing and then requiring (SHOULD and then SHALL)
> the issuance of Root CRLs/OCSP responders/responses twice a year but
> maintain the validity to 12 months.

We certainly could, but I think we both agree that's a separate discussion.
I think the disconnect is whether, in the absence of such a mandate
(SHOULD/SHALL), is it still a good idea? And I think, as with most of the
BRs, the answer is "Yes, it is". This is effectively the past discussions
about lifetimes, and how setting shorter lifetimes (voluntarily) is
*still* good,
and shouldn't require the Forum to bless it before a CA does so.

> Raising "slightly" with negligent step back for security in order to
> ensure CAs have simple/clean implementation paths and specific language
> that these are indeed "ceilings" and CAs are expected to "do better than",
> doesn't sound so bad to me. But I understand the concern and makes sense to
> try to push this expectation to the document rather than "adding slack" to
> existing requirements.

Hopefully the concrete discussion above helps identify, and clarify, why
slack seems to be a step backward for security, and an unnecessary concern
given the existing language.