[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC-52 version 2: Specify CRL Validity Intervals in Seconds

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Jan 4 20:59:06 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 6:38 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) via
Servercert-wg <servercert-wg at cabforum.org> wrote:

> A solution to this problem would be for the ballot to allow an additional
> 10% for every "daily", "monthly", "yearly". In the worst case, this would
> allow a yearly event to be scheduled for November 1st and have a full month
> leeway for possible set-backs. Would people support this change?

It's not clear that this is necessary.

The Baseline Requirements are to set the upper-bound on what's permissible.
It's meant to be the absolute limit. You're totally right that CAs could
run into issues if they schedule things to that absolute limit, but they
can address that risk by doing things less than that.

There's long been a tension between wanting to set a "soft limit" and a
"hard limit", but it sounds like you're suggesting making all the (current)
hard limits soft. That seems to be a step back for security.

For example, rather than adding additional overhead, CAs could recognize
the risk of the situation you describe, and instead build their processes
to address that risk, such as by issuing their CRLs every 6 or 9 months.
There's no reason to think that running against the absolute limit (e.g.
every 365 days) is actually the desirable outcome - it's just the upper
bound. We saw this issue come up with 397 vs 398 days, and we saw some
surprisingly (negative) reaction to the quite sensible SHOULD at 397, and
we saw plenty of issues from CAs that ignored that, in favor of getting as
close as they can to the max.

Thus, the downside risk for your proposal is that we'd see just more of
that same - CAs that leverage that proposed 10% padding (which seems quite
excessive), run to the absolute max, and still have issues. I totally
understand wanting to be sensitive to CAs' business opportunities, but it
seems that a CA that had their ceremony every 6 months, or every 9 months -
which are still quite long periods - could still fully comply, and
naturally have their headroom built in.

So that's where it's a bit difficult to see the justification for such a
change, and it certainly would be a step in the opposite direction from
where the past several years of the Forum work has been going towards. Even
"every 11 months" seems... reasonable?