[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Re: Voting Begins for Ballot SC46: Sunset the CAA exception for DNS Operator

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed May 26 21:49:18 UTC 2021

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 5:40 PM Tim Hollebeek <tim.hollebeek at digicert.com>

> There’s nothing that prohibits a correctly written ballot (new ballot
> number, same endorsers) from running concurrently with the failure of the
> current one.  So the practical effect is only a delay of a week.  The
> longer it takes us to decide this is worth doing correctly, the longer the
> delay will be.


Am I understanding correctly that you see this as a MAJOR issue and a
reason for DigiCert to vote NO?

There's a lot more overhead to do what you propose, and unclear benefits,
so I'm trying to understand if you see this as absolutely necessary. If so,
I can go through the motions of assigning a new ballot, starting a new
discussion period (to last one week), which will then add another week (for
voting), plus the IP review, if you feel this is critical.

I definitely appreciate your eye here, and Bruce for asking, since I should
have made it clearer the thinking initially, but this feels like it will
add more work for no practical benefit. It seems your concerns are raised
on abstract principle, rather than a concrete concern, and to no practical
effect, but if I've misunderstood, and you believe that work is essential
to do to ensure this ballot can be adopted, then please clarify.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/attachments/20210526/0d8f3ed8/attachment.html>

More information about the Servercert-wg mailing list